City Transformation: Freedom of Speech
- Pray for minorities and other groups who are the target of verbal attacks at institutions of higher ed.
- Pray that they would find support and healing for the hurt,
- that they would have the strength to speak up for themselves and their fellow students,
- that they would not turn to the authorities to try to punish those who say things they don’t like,
- and that they instead learn to instruct others and expose the “isms”.
Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, adopted in 1948, states that “Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.”
Yet in many of our institutions of higher ed, you can get suspended or expelled for something you say. This week we are praying for God’s wisdom and intervention to protect the freedom to discuss and seek the truth.