City Transformation: Fulfilling our long-time callings
- Pray for our city to be a place where young women thrive, are greatly valued, and are free to follow their God-given dreams.
There are characteristics and callings for our city that have grown out of our earliest days. This week we will be praying for God’s purposes in these “roots” of our city to be fulfilled. Each day we will leverage the history of a downtown building to guide our prayers (Reference).
130 East Kiowa Street
Built 1912 / Architect Nicholas van den Arend No. 16
This building represents the culmination of the efforts of the Young Women’s Christian Association, which was initiated locally in 1899. A fundraising campaign began in 1909 and by 1912, this building emerged to provide classrooms, a gymnasium, and dining area, private rooms and space for
religious, social and cultural activities. Used as a hospital by the Red Cross
during the influenza epidemic of 1918-19, the building also served as the USO
center during World War II. Eclectic in design, the building’s architect was Nicholas van den Arend (also the architect for the Van Briggle Pottery Works, 231 West Uintah Street). Representatives from the Van Briggle Art Pottery confirmed that the building’s tile was produced by their company. Continuing in its cultural mission until 1971, the building was threatened with demolition until the William A Simpsons, a local family involved in banking, purchased and rehabilitated it for commercial use.