City Transformation: Fulfilling our long-time callings
- Pray for our city to be a place of natural and supernatural healing, where people are restored and filled with God’s abundant life.
There are characteristics and callings for our city that have grown out of our earliest days. This week we will be praying for God’s purposes in these “roots” of our city to be fulfilled. Each day we will leverage the history of a downtown building to guide our prayers (Reference).
Bennett Brothers Building / Carlton Building
13 South Tejon Street
Built 1910-11 / Architect T. E. Linn
The Bennett Brothers, Edwin and Lorenzo, left their native Ohio due to Edwin’s poor health, and arrived in Colorado Springs in 1876. In 1889, they began a real estate and loan business that led them to become known as prosperous businessmen in the city. This building was designed for a retail storefront and offices in the upper floors. Popular with realtors, attorneys and physicians, this building is associated with the commercial development of downtown. In 1943, the Leslie G. Carlton estate purchased the building, renamed it and moved their offices into it. Designed by T. E. Linn (also the architect of the Mining Exchange, No. 11, the Giddings Building, No. 19 and the Odd Fellows Hall, No. 28), the building is a good example of the commercial style of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The storefront has been replaced, but the upper floors remain intact.